Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Game in a Day, First Attempt

Yesterday, my friend Justice and I attempted to make a small game as quickly as possible. It was going to be a top-down mech action rpg called Scrap Wars. Instead of leveling, your mech upgrades himself with parts from defeated enemies until he can handle the last boss. Unfortunately, we got sidetracked and ended up watching my roommate play Silent Hill 3 after only one hour of design and about one hour of programming. In that time, we did basic map generation, the framework for parts, and we made a few sprites.

I still like the idea of the game, so I'm going to continue working on it myself today. I liked how the time pressure forced me to be efficient, so I'm going to give myself a hard limit of 12 hours of development time. I'll have the timer running when I'm programming and making resources and stop it when I have to do something else. When the timer hits 12 hours, it's done regardless of what else I'd like to add. Should be fun; I might try doing several more of these in the future if I like the result.

Here's a fully zoomed out picture of the type of map the current map generator can produce. It doesn't have rivers, tree, factories or the volcano (where the last boss will be) yet, but it's not bad for having spent such a short time working on it.
Blue is water, yellow is sand or muddy earth (for near oceans and near lakes, respectively), green is plains or forest, and brown is wasteland (old mech battlefields).

No comments:

Post a Comment