Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mage Fist

My current game project is Mage Fist, a 2D side-scrolling platformed loosely inspired by Kirby64. I've been designing it for about a week and will start programming the basics soon. Specifically, I'm going to make a 2D fighting game in which you fight enemies in a small arena which I will later turn into Mage First.

Mage Fist has a simple plot. Anki, a young wizard's apprentice who has yet to successfully cast a spell, has his entire town destroyed by a terrible storm. Anki becomes infuriated at God, so much so that he spontaneous invents a spell that focuses his anger into a magical fist. He decides that he would make a better deity and embarks on a quest to usurp God.

The gameplay will involve controlling Anki through levels in which he fights enemies and makes progress toward finding God. On the way, he learns several spells. Before each level, the player chooses what spells to equip. There are active spells and passive spells. Active spells use mana and passive spell are active as long as Anki does not run out of mana; If Anki completely depletes his mana, his passive spells fade for a time

I originally started thinking about the game to have a project that I could finish in a about two months; however, I seem to have expanded my vision for the game beyond that. I'm going to consider the Mage Fist fighting-game my small project because the full Mage Fist game will take me several months. As such, I will try to make the fighting game as interesting as possible as a stand alone game.

To differentiate the two version, I will call the platformer Mage Fist: Ascension and the fighter Mage Fist: Destruction.

I'm going to be making my own sprites for the game to get a feel for what I'm able to do; I have never tried to do pixel art. If my sprites are ugly, I'll find someone make better sprites after finishing Destruction. Here is my first draft for Anki at rest.

This project feels a lot more manageable than The Kingdom Project; it seems like a realistic goal for a solo project if I consistently spend enough time on it every week. I'll be posting my progress on this blog, along with any relevant images or interesting bits of source code. Once I feel like the game is done, I'll release the full source for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment