Thursday, December 15, 2011

More Sprites

Today, I wrote the code to handle animating sprites from a sprite sheet. I made it such that an animation can take the frames in a given column of the sheet in any sequence with non-uniform timing between frames. I tested it with the bird sprite sheet and it worked quite well.
After finishing that, I became indecisive about how to carry out a certain part of the design; I'm not sure how I want the creature objects to communicate with their visual representations. I procrastinated on that decision by marking more player animations and collecting them in a sprite sheet. Here's what I've done:
 Each column is a state. They are, in order: Idle, Walking, Jumping, Hurt, Dieing, Target Cast, Area Cast, Self Cast. The casting will be accompanied with various effects depending on the spell; the casting poses look rather dopey without the effects.

Later, I will write some code to let the player choose the character's robe colors. I will also add flying and crawling animations as well as different kinds of "Hurt" such as "Hurt by Fire".

I'm going to start uploading videos showing the visual state of the game to this youtube channel. I have two videos uploaded right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment