I was struggling with Opengl when I had an epiphany. It was a rather obvious realization; it's odd that it didn't occur to me sooner.
I had decided to start Mage Fist specifically to finish a game in a relatively short time frame. My decision to time starting the project at the same time I was struggling to learning Linux contradicted that goal. Further, my choice of C++ and Opengl was a poor selection for rapid development. My desire to be a "programming badass" made me lose sight of my project's goals.
This realization caused me to look at my options with less prejudice, a beginner's mind. I've decided to make the game in C# with XNA using Visual Studios. The game will progress much faster now that I don't have so many distracting factors. I will try a project on Linux later, when I have different goals in mind.
Once I started the outline of the project in XNA, I made a simple bird sprite and a grass tile.
These might not make it into the final game, but it will be enough to start testing a few basic systems.


No comments:
Post a Comment